Our ESG Journey
BRI started its ESG (Environmental, Social & Governance) implementation journey by consistently publishing its Sustainability Report from 2013, long before Indonesia’s FSA (Financial Service Authority) issued FSA regulation 51/2017 in 2017. In 2015, BRI became one of the few banks in Indonesia that took part in the First Mover on Sustainable Banking initiative initiated by the FSA and was later appointed as the chairman from 2018 up until the present. In 2018, BRI issued a sustainability policy to strengthen its commitment to sustainable finance by incorporating ESG dimensions into four aspects of banking activities:
- The composition of loans in sustainable businesses reached Rp614.2 T (65.1% of total loans) in 2021.
- One of BRI subsidiaries, PNM, has shown a vibrant contribution to SDG achievement, especially in achieving gender equality and empowering women by providing a loan scheme for underprivileged women named PNM Mekaar.
- Applying sustainable principles to the palm oil sector through loan policy that requires CPO borrowers to obtain ISPO and/or RSPO certification.
- Became the first bank in Southeast Asia to issue Sustainable Bonds in RegS format in 2019, where 69% of the proceeds from the Bond issuance were channeled to social projects and 31% to social projects.
- Develop a Digital Savings product in 2020 as an effort to reduce carbon emissions from customer mobility and paper use.
- Implementing operational and business activities that are more environmentally friendly by digitizing the business processes (BRISPOT, SenyuM Mobile, BRIMO, BRILink Web, BRISMART, BRISTARS, BRI API and BRISIM) as well as product digitalization (CERIA, Pinang and BRI Digital Saving).
- Issued the Sustainable Finance Action Plan (RAKB) in 2019 as part of BRI's long-term commitment to implementing sustainable finance.
- Starting the measurement of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the company's operational activities in 2021, with GHG emissions of around 440,000 tons of CO2 (19% reduction from 2019).
- BRI is committed to maintaining diversity and equal opportunities for employees by creating a culture that supports and encourages the role of women and employees from various backgrounds (such as age and other minority backgrounds) in the workplace.
- In 2021, BRI's Employee Engagement Index was recorded at 3.46 (out of a 4.0 scale), the highest in the last three years.
In 2021, in line with the Company's vision to become “The Most Valuable Banking Group in Southeast Asia and The Champion of Financial Inclusion,” BRI, together with Pegadaian and PNM established an Ultra Micro Ecosystem to provide wider and more affordable access to finance for the entire community, especially for the Micro and Ultra Micro segments. In the same year, BRI established a Board Level ESG Committee and an ESG Division to further strengthen the implementation of ESG.
In 2022, BRI has prepared an ESG roadmap and strategy with the aspiration "To be a World-class Sustainable Banking Group focusing on ESG," which will be supported by three strategic pillars, namely:
- Environmental, Formulate a strategy for climate change.
- Social, community empowerment.
- and Governance, Improving good corporate governance practice.